26.7.05

Finally a due date - and everyone was off. And BIG NEWS...

So much to start with and no idea how to begin. Yesterday (the 26th) was a day full of surprises. Surprises are good though. I thought as I awoke that the day would be a simple one. My usual checkup followed by a race to work and then back home again. But was I ever wrong.

Week 19 Doctor App't - Or so I thought
Of all days, Rob had to work this day. I had told him he didn't need to come with me to the app't since it should be rather stationary, but he insisted. It was, afterall, a 9:45am app't and he didn't have to be at work (in Elizabeth in sweltering heat outside DJ'ing) till 12pm. We would be fine right? So we get there and we wait. And wait. And wait. They did not take me till 10:15am. I was livid. Rob was calm. Who knows why they were busy - but they were.

I walk in with Rob behind me. Jump on the scale, and weigh in at 125lbs. I've gained 10lbs since the start of this pregnancy. Head over to the bathroom to pee in a cup while simultaneously laughing at Rob who asked the nurse permission to weigh himself. Get back in the room and wait. Now, typically, I'm seen by Liz, the practitioner but today it was Dr. B himself making the appearance. He shakes hands with Rob and proceeds to dump goop all over my stomach to hear the heartbeat. Swirls the Doppler (the thing that allows us to hear the heatbeat for those who don't know) around and we hear the beats. Now Dr. B is cool. I like him. Rob and I describe him as a very 'efficient' doctor. That's the best way to describe him. Very straight to the point but with happy eyes. He states AFP blood test came out good. No worries. I was looking good. All looks good. GOOD. So he proceeds to whip out a measuring tape. Takes a measurement from my pubic bone to the top of my uterus and looks at the measurement curiously and then picks up my file.

Dr. B
You haven't had your ultrasound yet?
Me
No, I'm scheduled to go in August after coming back from Florida
Dr. B
August? Why not sooner then that? You need an ultrasound done
Me
Well St. Barnabas was really busy and the earliest they could fit me in was in August
Dr. B
St. Barnabas...who told you to go there?
Me
Liz **that's the practitioner**
Dr. B
Oh no **leaves the room to speak to liz and returns** We're going to get one done for you today. You have time today right....
Can we say insanity? I swear Rob and I were just looking at each other in confusion. We end up getting booked for some ultrasound at a local place at 12pm. Rob has Albert cover for him at Elizabeth for an hour...

~~~LONG STORY SHORT~~~

First place we go to didn't have my app't. Wanted me to wait till there was time (earliest was 'possibly' 1:30 but no guarantees and Rob and I left - he went to work and I got an app't at another place at 4:30pm)

Level II Ultrasound
Fast forward to 4:30pm app't. I was scared. I told as much to Rob. I'm paranoid I guess, but I feared that something would be wrong.

Rob
You shouldn't be scared
Me

But what if the kid's missing a leg?
Rob
Then it's missing a leg


I know I must have looked exasperated to Rob. He just smiled at me. This odd little smile that tells me simultaneously that I'm crazy and that he loves me even though I am.

The Lady who attended us at the ultrasound was named Lizzy. She was very nice and laughed at Rob and I several times especially as I asked, What is that? Constantly. How she could decipher what the hell was a bladder is beyond me. It looked like a blob. Babe was, as usual, uncooperative for pictures. So what few I have I'll post later, but aren't that great.

I had to pee really badly. They make you drink water beforehand. Never had to do this for the other ultrasounds, but the other ultrasounds are rather different. They were just random screen shots and not this high tech machine with a mouse and full computer system and beeping noises and such (so technical right?) So I had a very full bladder as the ultrasound was happening, and anytime she went to press on my tummy she'd apologize. Babe didn't move all that much when they were doing the sound. Crossed his legs - and I think that's the best picture we have. So weird to see. Rob was fairly quiet. I couldn't see him very well. The room was dark. She measured the legs...his arms. We got to see the 4 chambers of the heart. The spine. I tell you, it's fascinating what modern technology lets you see. The face shots are always kinda weird to me though. Alien like cause you can't see the eyes. They look like just 2 black holes in facial shape. I kept looking at Rob and looking at the shape of the face to see whose face shape the babe has. Insane.

So what did we find out?? Well that a lot of what I thought I was is WRONG

  • The most recent due date of December 20th is WRONG
  • The original due date of December 11th is WRONG
  • The 2nd due date I received of December 24th is WRONG
  • The strange belief that I was 19 weeks pregnant is WRONG

Instead

  • I am currently (well yesterday - 21 weeks and 1 day pregnant) That would put me over the 1/2 way point. And all my mentioning that I'm just over 4 months pregnant to everyone and their mother is incorrect as the sonogram puts me as just over 5 months pregnant.
  • My new (and should be LAST) due date is now December 6th. Putting this kid close to having a birthday on or near MY birthday. TSK.
  • The babe is currently 14 ounces. 2 ounces short of a pound and guesstimated at being about 11 inches long already. (where I know not?)
  • Damn thing had its foot on my bladder. No wonder I had to pee so badly.
  • Has all the necessary organs and limbs. Looking good.

And of course what you all want to know right? Is it a boy or girl. Well lets just say I can now sing this song to the babe - which I loved since I first heard it and which made me cry when I first heard it.

Godspeed (Sweet Dreams) by the Dixie Chicks

Dragon tales and the "water is wide"
Pirate's sail and lost boys fly
Fish bite moonbeams every night
And I love you

Godspeed, little man
Sweet dreams, little man
Oh my love will fly to you each night on angels wings
Godspeed
Sweet dreams

The rocket racer's all tuckered out
Superman's in pajamas on the couch
Goodnight moon, we'll find the mouse
And I love you

Godspeed, little man
Sweet dreams, little man
Oh my love will fly to you each night on angels wings
Godspeed
Sweet dreams

God bless mommy and match box cars
God bless dad and thanks for the stars
God heard "Amen," wherever you are
And I love you

Godspeed, little man
Sweet dreams, little man
Oh my love will fly to you each night on angels wings

Godspeed
Godspeed
Godspeed
Sweet dreams


Yes, Rob and I are going to have a bouncing baby boy. A boy. WOW. What I feel is practically inexplicable. I have debated whether I could even find words to really encompass it. I am surprised, but I think I would be surprised whether or not it was a girl or boy. It just puts so much more definiteness...so much more credibility to it in knowing it's a boy. Daily I feel him move more. Little reminders that he's there. I can now say HE with just cause. WOW.

I left the doctor's office in a mild state of amazement and shock. Rob was on the phone with some client or other that called his cell and I stared at the printouts, at the alien face ones, at the crossed legs. I thought to myself. I'm over 5 months pregnant and JUST starting to show now. I wondered how it is that an almost one pound 11 inch thing was in this small little pooch. I thought that I'm currently the weight I was when I worked the Symphony, how I'm still wearing the pants that I wore at the symphony. I thought...my God. I'm having a baby.

Reality Hits...
I came home last night excited. I thought of the Dixie Chick song immediately when I was making dinner. It was a song that I had heard a bit over a year ago when doing research for songs for Mother/Son dances at weddings. I bawled the first time I heard it. I played it again for myself yesterday when Rob was watering the lawn. I didn't cry this time around, I just smiled. A broad wide smile. I can't believe that I'm finally HAPPY at the fact that I have a belly - that I'm going to be a mother. Although that word still feels weird - mother.

The Name Game
This is a warning to everyone. Even IF we do come up with a name for this boy before he comes into this world, the name will not be shared. I won't lie in saying that over the past few months I have been compiling a list of names that kind of draw my attention. I shared that list with Rob for the first time. After removing about 70% of the names from the list as either 'only sounding good in Spanish', 'what the hell were you thinking' and just plain 'no's' we now have a constructive list to START with. We were given a baby names book recently and we'll look through that too. We still will look around at whatever calls out attention and who knows if we'll even come to a decision before the boy is born. What we do know is that it won't be a Jr. Jr. or a Third. Roberto will NOT be his name.

Proof that I'm finally showing

From Miggy's Wedding on Sunday where I told everyone who asked me I was 4ish months pregnant when I wasnt'.

21 comments:

Krystal Muellenberg said...

I can't tell you how happy I am you updated. I needed something to read today. And that was just wonderful. I am so happy for you. So very happy. Glad everything is looking good with the little man. And wow! Skipping ahead two and a half weeks in your pregnancy. How exciting! That post was just wonderful. So heartfelt and full of emotion. And good for you for not sharing names. I will tell people that we have a list. But that is about as far as we go. I hate the mounds of opinions. Argh.

Krystal Muellenberg said...

oh. and you look adorable! You are showing a bit!

Anonymous said...

I am SOOOOOOOOo happy for you. thrilled.

Anonymous said...

If I wasn't at work, I'd be in tears. Absolutely beautiful.

Anonymous said...

wow! you really ARE showing! You look amazing! Seriously. Just beautiful!

Godspeed!

Anonymous said...

I have been on-line searching for hours for information regarding umbilical cord blood banking advantages and stumbled across your blog during my journey :-) LaFlacaD your blog is really amazing! Keep up the great work. Obviously my search on umbilical cord blood banking advantages was way off when compared to this post and find it funny how it landed me here. The internet is a funny thing. Anyways, great job on your blogging and keep up the good work! I been searching for umbilical cord blood banking advantages for over 2 hours and needed a break from it. I started reading your blog and really started getting into it.
P.S I will add you to my favorites so I can come back and visit later
P.S.S If you want to bookmark my site I am at umbilical cord blood banking advantages. You never know you may find some good deals!

Anonymous said...

Hi LaFlacaD your blog is really great! Wow :-) As I was out blog surfing and surfing the web for detailed info on cord blood retrieval I stumbled across your blog. Obviously my search landed me here and it is a little off subject compared to this post, but I am certainly glad I did come across your blog. Did I already tell you I like it! If you would not mind, I would like to add your link to my "favorites" page to come back and read again sometime. Should you ever need it, there's lots of information on this site about cord blood retrieval. Again, great blog and keep up the great work!

Anonymous said...

I love your blog LaFlacaD. How long has it been on-line? Reason I ask is I am doing a ton of work in the area of cord blood company and will probably end up starting a blog of my own. Funny how the internet brought me here when I was doing searches on cord blood company. Oh well, I am glad it did. Keep up the great blogging and I am sure I will visit this post again!!

Anonymous said...

Hey LaFlacaD. Very nice blog :0) I just got inside from washing and waxing my truck. It is my baby. Took me 2 hours though. So I settled down into my basement and started doing some web surfing. Anyways I am in the process of grabbing my masters degree and have spent the last 6 months researching cord blood ontario. In the midst of my surfing I landed smack dab in the middle of your blog. I hope you do not think I am intruding but I must say it is great blog. Even though this post is way off base from cord blood ontario I found myself cruising through your blog archives for the last half hour :0) You have some nice blogging friends. Anyways, I need to get back to my mission. I wrote don’t your url and feel free to visit me here at cord blood ontario. I am so busy so I can only update my site monthly. Keep up the great work

Anonymous said...

Sad to say I just got back from a bowling tournament and decided to log in and do some websurfing. LaFlacaD I love your blog. I had some very good laughs. I am doing a paper on cord blood retrieval and have been downloading information for the last hour. I don’t know how I came across this post but I am glad I did. It has set me back a little because I have spent the last hour reading your archives. If you don’t mind I would like to add you to my favorites so I can back again and read some more. Well I need to get back to cord blood retrieval . I am almost finished with it. Great job.
p.s some very good points on your blog

Anonymous said...

Sad to say I just got back from a bowling tournament and decided to log in and do some websurfing. LaFlacaD I love your blog. I had some very good laughs. I am doing a paper on stem cell from umbilical cord blood and have been downloading information for the last hour. I don’t know how I came across this post but I am glad I did. It has set me back a little because I have spent the last hour reading your archives. If you don’t mind I would like to add you to my favorites so I can back again and read some more. Well I need to get back to stem cell from umbilical cord blood . I am almost finished with it. Great job.
p.s some very good points on your blog

Anonymous said...

Sad to say I just got back from a bowling tournament and decided to log in and do some websurfing. LaFlacaD I love your blog. I had some very good laughs. I am doing a paper on umbilical cord blood preservation and have been downloading information for the last hour. I don’t know how I came across this post but I am glad I did. It has set me back a little because I have spent the last hour reading your archives. If you don’t mind I would like to add you to my favorites so I can back again and read some more. Well I need to get back to umbilical cord blood preservation . I am almost finished with it. Great job.
p.s some very good points on your blog

Anonymous said...

What up LaFlacaD! I just finished up a ten hour work day and decided to kick back and do some surfing. So I grabbed myself a drink and stumbled across your blog while doing some research on bank blood cord private for a upcoming project I am doing. Well even though this post isn’t what I was looking for I really enjoyed reading your blog. Your doing a great job and please keep up the good work. Lots of people do not keep their blogs up to date :0) There are some very interesting view points stated here. Anyways I am going to grab the bull by the horns and continue to plug away at bank blood cord private . I have already bookmarked your blog. You many want to visit me at bank blood cord private . You never know you might see something you like! Again great job

Anonymous said...

I have been on-line searching for hours for information regarding cord blood storing and stumbled across your blog during my journey :-) LaFlacaD your blog is really amazing! Keep up the great work. Obviously my search on cord blood storing was way off when compared to this post and find it funny how it landed me here. The internet is a funny thing. Anyways, great job on your blogging and keep up the good work! I been searching for cord blood storing for over 2 hours and needed a break from it. I started reading your blog and really started getting into it.
P.S I will add you to my favorites so I can come back and visit later
P.S.S If you want to bookmark my site I am at cord blood storing . You never know you may find some good deals!

Anonymous said...

Hey this blog is not about saving umbilical cord blood . Silly internet bringing me here :-) Funny I have been doing hours of research on saving umbilical cord blood and it brought me to your blog on this post. The web plays funny games sometimes. Anyways, I was reading your blog LaFlacaD and I think it is really cool. Keep up the great work.
If you do not mind I will snag your blog and put it in my favorites. I read a ton of stuff on here that interested me. Keep blogging away :-)

Anonymous said...

Sad to say I just got back from a bowling tournament and decided to log in and do some websurfing. LaFlacaD I love your blog. I had some very good laughs. I am doing a paper on saving umbilical cord blood and have been downloading information for the last hour. I don’t know how I came across this post but I am glad I did. It has set me back a little because I have spent the last hour reading your archives. If you don’t mind I would like to add you to my favorites so I can back again and read some more. Well I need to get back to saving umbilical cord blood . I am almost finished with it. Great job.
p.s some very good points on your blog

Anonymous said...

Well I just got back from the gym and I am beat. I am currently doing some research on cord blood spinal supply and stumbled across your blog. Which cracks me up really. The internet can certainly land you off base sometimes. Even though this post is not completely related I think it is a cool blog. I have read back through the archives and lots of people make some very good points. Well I have been on-line forever it seems. I need to continue to plug away at cord blood spinal supply. If you have the energy swing by cord blood spinal supply. I try to update my site weekly and maybe you will see something you like. I already snagged your URL and put it in my favorites. If you do not mind I will be back again. Great job!

Anonymous said...

I love your blog LaFlacaD. How long has it been on-line? Reason I ask is I am doing a ton of work in the area of cord blood stem cell banks and will probably end up starting a blog of my own. Funny how the internet brought me here when I was doing searches on cord blood stem cell banks. Oh well, I am glad it did. Keep up the great blogging and I am sure I will visit this post again!!

Anonymous said...

I have been on-line searching for hours for information regarding saving umbilical cord blood and stumbled across your blog during my journey :-) LaFlacaD your blog is really amazing! Keep up the great work. Obviously my search on saving umbilical cord blood was way off when compared to this post and find it funny how it landed me here. The internet is a funny thing. Anyways, great job on your blogging and keep up the good work! I been searching for saving umbilical cord blood for over 2 hours and needed a break from it. I started reading your blog and really started getting into it.
P.S I will add you to my favorites so I can come back and visit later
P.S.S If you want to bookmark my site I am at saving umbilical cord blood . You never know you may find some good deals!

Anonymous said...

Sad to say I just got back from a bowling tournament and decided to log in and do some websurfing. LaFlacaD I love your blog. I had some very good laughs. I am doing a paper on collection of umbilical cord blood and have been downloading information for the last hour. I don’t know how I came across this post but I am glad I did. It has set me back a little because I have spent the last hour reading your archives. If you don’t mind I would like to add you to my favorites so I can back again and read some more. Well I need to get back to collection of umbilical cord blood. I am almost finished with it. Great job.
p.s some very good points on your blog

Anonymous said...

All I can say is WOW LaFlacaD. The other half and I just got back from our friends house (well her friends house) and I needed a huge break. I am working on a project right now that is based on cord blood registry cbrs. I have literally been on-line for 2-3 hours doing research. Even though this post really isn’t on the same page as cord blood registry cbrs I am certainly glad I came across your blog. There are a ton of great view points on this blog. Well I think I can here the kids screaming in the background. I put you in my internet favorites and I will certainly come back and visit. If you want to take a peek at my site you can find me here at cord blood registry cbrs. I update my site very frequently. Again, great job blogging and I will be back again soon!