5.6.09

Late night before bed energy surge

I should be asleep. It is almost 1am. For the past week Nilsa has woken up like clockwork at 2:30am to party for an hour or 2 for no apparent reason. I expect it tonight. Yet I sit here in the darkness of my bedroom, having just said goodnight to Rob and I'm wide awake. These brief moments of lucidity always makes me ponder where my energy comes from. Its not the food I eat as I just realized I skipped dinner altogether. Its not what I drink as I've no reaction to caffeine and have sworn off of red bulls and assorted sugary energy promising drinks. Its not from excersize as even though I've joined and attend a gym (at 5:30am no less) it hasn't increased my energy level. No, energy comes from within my soul I think. The reason I'm awake right now. Curtains.

Rob worked tonight. The annual American Red Cross Event in NYC. So facing being home alone with the kids I opted to take them to a place for them to expel energy. Ikea. Let me say that Ikea on a weeknight is the perfect place to take children. We don't even hit the kids ballroom or anything. Instead in the almost relaxing emptiness they walk. They walk every inch of the showroom. They follow the arrows. They touch and listen and take in the ambiance. We sit on sofas, bounce on beds and climb under furniture. And we will inevitably leave with a little something. Today's something. Paper lanterns and curtains. The paper lanterns are for the breezeway (or maybe their bedroom - haven't decided) and the breezeway/playroom deserves its own post all together as it has invariably become the home of Dianne's amazing Craigslist unbelievably well priced, great shaped and fabulous scores finds, the latest of which is the most adorable wooden kitchen set.

But I digress. The curtains. I decided my kitchen needs a bit of a change. So I got these candy striped red curtains. Totally adorable. Decently priced. And I spent the evening after the kidlets were asleep, cutting and sewing and ironing said curtains. Gotta say I'm damn proud of myself. So much so that I've got an illogical surge of energy and I'm proudly bragging about my accomplishment on the Internet.

Oh what getting older does to you.

I've so much to share. So much I haven't said lately. Pictures to post. Sweet amazing things the kids are doing and alarmingly normal annoying things they are as well. I'm also due for one of my long brain dumps on the state of my mind, my life and my aspirations. I've been writing a 'how does she do it' post in my head for over a month and I think it's about time it gets put out there so that I can move onto other things.

Things are busy. When are they not? 2 kids, 2 full time jobs (one in which is a small business I in essence help run and works out of the home), a husband and a plethora of other things guarantee that it won't be slow going anytime soon. But I have to take these moments. These brief instances when I have energy and maybe a bit of time to steal away to let you all know that we're moving along at what can only be defined as our own pace. It's not perfect...but what is?

goodnight.

No comments: