19.8.09

Back to School

Ari starts a full day of school this year. Monday through Friday, 8:30am to 2:30pm. I’m totally excited about this. I know it will be so good for him. He loves camp now (need to post on the wonder and fabulousness that is Salta Jump into Spanish) Beyond that I’m incredibly proud of myself for having mailed in all the required documentation for the school including immunization forms. I feel totally organized!

I’ve always loved the start of the school year. I get giddy going to the store and seeing all the back to school supplies. I used to want to buy my supplies the minute I saw the notebooks lining the main aisle at Woolworth (remember them?) Even as a catholic school uniform wearing kid, shopping was part of the new school year. New shoes, new clothes, pencils and pencil cases and folders and such.

And it’s kind of a bummer that I don’t have the opportunity to shop for Ari’s back to school stuff. The school literature basically said “pay said and said amount and we’ll provide all these supplies.” What are the few things we are responsible for?
  • 3 boxes of baby wipes,
  • 3 boxes of tissues
  • 5 glue sticks
  • 1 4oz. bottle of Elmer’s School Glue
Oh well.

And as organized as I claim to be, I did not start reading the required “at least” 3 books from the summer reading list. I think considering this is Pre-K I can get away with it right? Maybe I should get the books huh? I have a month till school starts.

Books on the reading list:
  • Me and My Mom – Alison Ritchie
  • The Very Hungry Caterpillar – Eric Carle – we have this one and have read it
  • the Kissing Hand – Audrey Penn
  • Chicka Chicka Boom Boom – Bill Martin Jr.
  • Clifford: School Days Treasurey – Norman bridwell
  • The Doorbell Rang – Pat Hutchins
  • If You Take a Mouse to School – Laura Numeroff
I do feel bad for Nilsa. She gets bummed when Ari goes to camp for the day and now she’ll be without her brother for the most part. I also wish she had some school to go to. Unlike Ari she makes the cutoff for school year. So next year she can go to full day pre-k. I wish she would have some 2 times a week 2 hours a day kind of program like Ari had to just prepare her for it. I feel going from with daddy/abuela all day to school all day would be extreme. If anyone knows of something like that please let me know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm a tad pissy about the supply list. how about give ME the money, i'll buy supplies for the entire class and still have enough left over for a massage....and maybe a margarita as well.

oh i see i'm gonna be a baaaaad catholic school mommy.

FrancesM said...

I love school shopping too but our list is an entire page!!! Everything under the sun!!!