17.5.05

Parent's Reactions to 'the news'

My Mom's Reaction....
Mom came over the day before mother's day. I overloaded her with early mother's day gifts. Her new cell phone - for which she started jumping up an down (my mother's very excitable which spoils me for every other person since even the littlest gift gets her super excited. Case in point - she jumped and screamed even more for the cutesy little yellow and green carrying case she got for her new cell phone) And at the supermarket I bought her a lily plant. Pretty and it just called to me and said - buy for mom. So I did. She was in heaven...absolute heaven. My mom loves presents.To top it off, I tell her I have one last one that she'll never guess I'd give her. And she starts clapping her hands and bouncing (sometimes my mom is like a 5 year old) and she says - "Oh this is like the best Mother's day. You're like Marty, spoiling me with more and more presents" That was the kicker. I knew she would go crazy.

So Rob steps into the kitchen and now diverts attention cause she's just so happy as is she runs to hug him to thank him for the gift....and then completely forgets I was going to get her something else. I mention over to Rob "I'm going to tell her" I turn to her and let it out...."We're pregnant."

She stares at me.

"You're going to be a grandmother" and she squeals, hugs steps back, says an assortment of "oh my god's" and hugs again. Then proceeds to cry...which makes Rob laugh cause - well he said she would...and I'm holding back and she's just jumping. I mean absolute joy. Nothing can touch her now. She's all smiles.I show her both sonograms. She's never had a sonogram. Had never even seen a sonogram. Is flabbergasted. She is so over the moon right now. And what does she say when I tell her we plan to tell Aida (my MIL) tomorrow. "Oh she's going to go insane...she'll be so excited" My mom kept mentioning how they both was so wanting one and talking about it all Christmas. We tell her tomorrow night.I had to tell my mom not to buy anything. Her mind is already racing with things to buy - I just see her. She says she won't just yet. Gotta make sure she keeps to that.

Rob's Parent's Reaction
So we gave Aida her mother’s day present. A new video camera where she insisted Rob spent way too much money on her. And Rob is all showing her how to use the camera and whatnot…and I sit in the rocking chair and rock back and forth. Albert eyes me oddly. He knows I know and he knows his parent’s don’t know and you can tell he doesn’t quite know hot to react. So we’re sitting there. And we’re all watching the Simpson’s. Rob’s parents on one couch. Albert and Rob on the loveseat….me, rocking in the chair.

So Rob steals my line from when we announced the pregnancy to my mother and tells his mom “we got you another present.” The litany of complaints begin before Rob can go any further. All you hear are “why are you buying me more stuff, the video camera is more then enough, blah blah blah.” It took EVERYTHING in my power to keep from cracking up right then and there. I found the entire thing humorous. And Rob, not shy in the least was laughing. Just laughing wholeheartedly. And he tells his mom “no, we didn’t buy you anything else” and he just blurts out “We’re pregnant”

***silence***

His mom looks at him, looks at me…his father stares at him. Rob laughs again and says “Dianne’s pregnant”

Rob’s mom looks at him…looks at me, Rob’s father looks at me and then his MOM all and out SHRIEKS and jumps off the sofa jumping up and down. And then she goes “I KNEW IT, I KNEW IT, I KNEW IT” And she is so excited that she almost jumps on Rob on the couch to hug him and then runs to me and bear hugs me. Then Rob’s father comes at me and he hugs me. I could NOT stop laughing. Rob, Albert and I were just cracking up. Her reaction was priceless. And then she could not sit down. She was pacing and jumping as she tells the story about how when she stopped by the house and I had the doctor’s app’t that when she left and she was walking home she thought Maybe she’s gotta go to toe obgyn. But then she convinced herself that she couldn’t be right and that it was wishful thinking. And then she called Miggie up later that day and told her about her suspicion and Miggie confirmed that she was probably wishful thinking and that I keep things in my life so personal that I would probably not say anything until I showed anyway and I looked skinnier so she convinced herself that it was all wishful thinking….I swear she never even took a break to breathe. Her husband was laughing at her.

And we calmed her down enough that she sat to hear how we were freaking out that day when she showed up. And after that she was up again and running to the phone while simultaneously asking if we had told Lenette and if she could tell her. How could we not.So she gets on the phone. This gets even funnier. She’s on the phone and she’s like. I just got the most wonderful presents for mother’s day. Rob got me a camcorder…yes yes but they got me more. The gift they got me was from Rob and Dianne. But Rob had a small role in this one…a very small role. This gift says Dianne far more then it says Rob (she’s saying this all by the way in the calmest of voices) and she pauses and I can imagine Lenette saying “what they get you?” and that’s when She SCREAMS into the phone Rob and Dianne are going to have a baby!!!

Can I just say that I was on the other side of the room and even before she took the phone away from her ear I could here Lenette screaming. OMG was she screaming. I mean piercing scream. I swear her neighbors were probably thinking she was getting murdered. And then forget it…she stars blubbering. I get handed the phone and she can’t even talk. She’s all snot and tears and I’m like “ok – repeat of our wedding day” And it was just oh so funny. Hilarious. And we leave the house a bit later since we had to go watch Deadwood (can’t miss that) and as we leave I get a huge hug and kiss from both my in-laws and we are walking down the sidewalk and my mother in law screams…..”They’re going to have a baby, I’m going to be a grandmother. I’m so happy and excited I want the world to know” So Rob and I start laughing. Crazy woman that she is screaming out to the neighborhood!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Write your message in here.

You can make it as long as you like

Anonymous said...

Such a funny story about telling your parents and Rob's. Sounds like they are SO happy!