17.5.05

Doctor's Appointments and Ultrasound Pictures in Review...

The first Doctor's Visit
Headed to the doc’s office and I will admit at that point is where my nerves struck. So strange. I was just jittery. Parked my car and walk in to the insanity that was the waiting room. I think one of the doctor’s was in delivery or something because they were backed up the wazoo. There was ONE seat available when I actually came in and as soon as I sat – no seats available. I got there at 10:30am for my 10:45 and was let in at 11:15am. And can I make mention that I made it in before some other people but I think because I was there to see Dr. B instead of anyone else. Funny thing is I set up this app’t to just see the nurse practitioner and get a blood test. But there I was getting a full exam. Who am I to complain? So the nurse with the pretty smile takes me in and weighs me after making me take off my shoes and my jacket. 115 lbs. What a smile on my face. That is my optimum weight. Perfect. Exactly where I want to be. And now I go and get knocked up.

Then I’m instructed to go in the bathroom, pee in a cup. So I enter the exam room, sit on the paper and get my blood pressure checked. A OK. She asks what’s up with me and I tell her the pregnancy possibility and she hands me the paper robe and tells me to get naked. Before she leaves the room though she asks if I want to keep the baby. I never really thought about the fact that this question is asked. Kind of caught me off guard and as I said yes, I had to follow up and say – WOW, that must be a tough question to ask. And the pretty and nice nurse answers “it’s a tough question to have to listen to the answer to sometimes” Deep. So she left and I got undressed and sit there reading ‘fitness magazine’ for what felt like forever.Finally Dr. B comes in. Disheveled and obviously overdone with so many patients yet he still had a nice smile. Now I usually see Dr. V here. Dr. V I think is the most popular of the doctors in this practice because he’s a wise ass comedian that doesn’t shut up the entire time. Nice guy Dr. V is but oddly enough, I now prefer Dr. B. as he seems so much more the doctor type and the man wastes no time…right to business. I immediately like him. I have a new OBGYN. So He checks my heartbeat – makes me breathe deeply doest the breast check. And then I had to scooch up to the end of the table and make my body known to the world. It’s funny how this used to be uncomfortable for me when I first started going to an OBGYN. Now it’s like – ok here we go. So we’re talking throughout the entire thing about the possibility of pregnancy and I say “well I’m still in denial” and he I guess looks in and says….”no need for denial, you’re definitely pregnant” UM – I didn't know they can they see that from there? I know now.

Next thing I know I’m being told to get dressed cause I’m having an ultrasound done. And I’m left in the room to get dressed. Panic ensues. I know not why I’m getting an ultrasound now. I know nothing and I was in such a stupefied shock at even hearing that I am pregnant I guess that I never even ask any questions. I get dressed quickly, and call Rob. Flip out commences. I don’t know what I babbled to him on the phone. I don’t think I was coherent. All I know is that I was on the brink of tears and my hands were shaking. I regain my composure after what I’m sure was hanging up on Rob and go outside where the ultrasound room is occupied. So I go get my blood taken. The blood taking nurse person is in pain I find out due to 3 root canals. So of course I inquire if she’s on pain killers (not to be nice but to make sure that she’s stable to shoot me in the arm with a needle) she’s on Motrin. I feel bad for her. She’s clearly in pain. But she’s good. Got me on the first shot. Can someone explain why that little prick hurts so goddamn much AFTERWARDS? So I’m left to wait for the ultrasound room and I sit and call Rob again, this time a lot more calm and we just talk a little nonsense. He wants to know why the ultrasound. I tell him because they have no idea how far along I am and want to check it out. Amazing what a difference it is to think rationally. Ultrasound room opens, I’m in there in 2 seconds, up on the thingie…lie down and pull my pants down past the bikini line…get the jelly goop on my tummy and boom…there’s the olive. Weird. I’m out of the room in less then 2 minutes and I get my vitamins, my prescription and a very interesting form to fill out. Make my app’t for 2 weeks and I’m out the door.

1st Ultrasound picture


2nd Doctor's Visit...2nd Ultrasound and Surprise visits from Aida (Mother in Law) that had me in a panic
Doctor's app't was scheduled for 10:45am. Rob was eating his cereal and I was filling out pregancy paperwork and the doorbell rings.

We both look at each other with *huh* faces and I take my piece of paper and stick it under the bamboo placemat I have and head for the door. Open it and see my Mother In Law (MIL.) I guess I looked at her the same way she looked at me - what are you doing here??? I open up and she asks how I'm home and I tell her I have a doctor's app't and she gets kinda freaked out and asks "is everything ok" for which I brush off really easily with "Oh yeah - just a simple checkup, I'm leaving now" Note the mention of leaving NOW She comes in - TAKES OFF HER COAT and replies something along the lines of "it's ok, I'll work with Rob on this - you go to your app't"

UM - Panic - can anyone say panic? Rob's supposed to COME with me. She then proceeds not to go into the office where everyone usually goes but into the kitchen to the kitchen table to the chair where I was sitting and talks to Rob while he's finishing up his cereal. I go get her the pictures. She came in asking for the pictures and I retrieve them for her and what does she do -starts looking through them and talking about the times they were taken and discussing all sorts of things and OH GOD. Every chance I get I look at Rob with this desperation and how do we get her out face. I swear - it's like a sitcom or something. I started cleaning the kitchen cause I didn't know what to do with myself. And Rob, well Rob manages to get her to stop looking at the pictures and somehow gets her to the office where he tells her that I have a doctors' app't and that he has to drive me and then next thing you know she leaves and I BREATHE

We leave for the doc's office at 10:41am. Still manage to get there at 10:45am. This time around, it was pretty empty. Still manage to wait another 15 minutes and I finally get called in. Urine specimen, blood taken (into 6 viles - yeesh) and then the ultrasound. Rob was there. I have a minature dinosaur. My own version of Barney I say this cause it looks like it has a tail. It's just a blob anyhow. When it was taken we estimated somewhere between 6-8 weeks. I didn't see Dr. B (well I did but in the hallway) I saw the nurse practitioner Liz who was just so nice. In any case - Rob saw the heartbeat on the monitor. I didn't. I was to busy trying not to laugh so that we could see the picture. And Rob was all in the monitor so he saw the jumping palpitations. He said that was really cool.

Here's Barney



No comments: