6.7.06

Daddy's Little Boy

People have said that when you have a baby boy that he will be attached to you like no other. Nobody loves a mother like a baby boy (the same I've heard said about a baby girl and her daddy.) I semi believed this fallacy. And then Arias came into the world and although I do most things for him and although I am sure he is happy to see me when I come in the door and enjoys the time he spends with me like I do, his true love and his most amazing reaction always belongs to his daddy.

Rob will just walk in a room and Ari's face lights up. His smile beams brightly and his legs start to wiggle. If Rob's not paying attention to him, he will babble incessantly until he turns in his direction and then he will giggle, bop or wiggle around, happy to have Rob's attention. In Rob's arms he smiles as daddy nuzzles him and Ari will grab happily at Rob's face rubbing his hand along the growing bristles of hair growing around his face. Put him on the floor standing and he will bolt assisted - walking over to Rob and grab onto his leg. Just watching Rob read a book to Ari before bedtime is enough to make my heart flutter.

I will admit that originally, I was saddened by this. My little baby boy loved Rob more then he loved me. What an absolutely ridiculous way to think. Ari just connects so fully to his father and now, rather then to let envy override me, I sit and observe the interaction with enough affection to bring tears to my eyes. Love truly emanates from both of them when they are together. They are so similar in appearance. There are some facial expressions they both have that are so much alike it's downright alarming. Asleep - both of my men are truly the spitting image of one another. Ari has grown, yes, and he does show some of my attributes, but he is largely the image of his father.

And we all know how fabulous a person Rob is in general. I'm not saying this because he's the man I married or because I love him more day to day. No, I say this because it's without a doubt that Rob is truly an amazing man. Strong and determined yet warm and affectionate. He resonates a sense of calm. I call him my voice of reason, and in many things he is. Always weighing things and never being as brash and overzealous as I am. I can only pray that Ari learns those attributes as well. I've no doubt that he will as, at almost 7 months, he already looks up to his father.

Ironically, Rob calls Ari 'papa' most times. Even those of you who don't speak Spanish know that papa means dad. But in Spanish, it's also a term of endearment. In my mind of minds, its a subconscious connection between father and son. A peek at what can be in the future. A relationship growing and building daily. Daddy's little Boy. I would have it no other way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, was just catching up and decided to scroll down and reread your previous posts. God D. Look at how tiny Ari used to be. Kinda like my Pie. They both looked like little monkeys and they are now getting so big and round and grown up. Not little monkeys anymore. Oy.

Melissa

Tammy said...

There is nothing like the relationship between father and son. Or in my case, sons. They have all these little inside jokes, and these conversations that I can't even begin to follow. Its great.