12.3.07

Excuse Me, I'm on the Guest List – Baby Loves Disco

Sunday was a weird flashback to an era gone by for me. There we were, Rob and I, along with our friends Linda and Armando doing what we did best back in the early/mid 90’s. Waiting in line behind the velvet ropes at a club in NYC. It was warm out but we still wondered why one of the girls in front of us was not wearing a jacket although she was wearing a tank top. Bouncers stood outside, tall and commanding as they always are wearing all black and giving those on line a weird sense of anxiety. Would we get in? Of course we would. We were on ‘the list’ after all. We waited patiently until it was our turn and then the door girl asked “and your name is?” And just as simply we were in.

Why would this be weird??
*Could it be that it was only 2 in the afternoon?*Could it be that I had a stroller?

*Could it be that along with us 4 there were 3 little 14 month old boys with us?


Yes, we have moved from club kids to club adults WITH kids and afforded Ari, Jonathan and Matthew their first trip to a club at a year old. Too Funny.

It’s called Baby Loves Disco and it’s actually a really awesome concept and a good time. There we were at Club Element on Houston Street with our kids. Behind the bar, top choice liquor. On the bar, juice boxes, crackers and snacks of all kind. They had a person tattooing on one side, a salon offering blow outs (as in hair straightening) downstairs. They held a dance contest for a Diesel Kids shopping spree. There were dance scarves and egg shakers and lights flitting about. It was truly a club experience except that the music was kept to a level that you could talk to each other, club patrons ranged from only months to eight years of age with their respective parents. There was an area downstairs (where we spent most all of our time) that was reserved for the below 2 year old set so that they could toddle around without fear of a running 6 year old.

It was one of the cutest and most amazing concepts. I worried initially that the music would be the common 70's soundtrack (think "Do the Hustle") but was surprised and happy to see some old school tracks that were fun and not in the least bit cheesy. Several times I said "damn, I haven't heard this in a long time." And that says a lot since I am out DJ'ing with Rob at events most every weekend. HA. I just notice NOW that Rob and Ari actually were dressed similarly. LOL

They even had a babysitter to assists should you need to run out, like one mother did, to feed her meter. Balloons, books, pillows and mats were all available. There was an insane amount of kids there.

It was quite a great time. With all the running around we did. We went to brunch at Bubby's in Brooklyn beforehand which was an quite the sight. 3 high chairs together with 3 little boys and food pretty much everywhere! Then we walked around the pier under the Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges. The kids were tired by day's end. And lets be honest - so were we! But definitely a wonderful time had by all! We took a good deal of pictures so I have to share some of my favorites



Look at DJ Arias










5 comments:

FrancesM said...

Oh wow! I wish I would have known about that - Thomasino would have loved it - he loves to dance!

Looks like you guys had a great time and I love the pictures! Ari is getting so big and keeps getting cuter!

Anonymous said...

thanx for this - love your whole recap.
(i'm one of the founders of BLD)
anytime you want to come, let me know
i'll make sure "you're on the list" ;)

andy

Anonymous said...

Thanks Dianne for inviting us, we had a great time!
Linda & the gang :)

Unknown said...

What a great thing! I want to go to the next one. They have one for 80's tho, right? You all look great! Arias looks soooooo much like you!

Anonymous said...

I;m going to the Orlando one for the first time. Yes being on the list is my thing. When I lived in NYC that's all I was on! THE LIST! No waiting!