15.1.08

Naming emotions & repeating

Ari said to me yesterday: "Mami - Thomas is happy."

This is the first time he's pointed out emotion. He pointed to Thomas the train's smiling face and said again Thomas Happy. And all I could do is smile. Now I won't say he's brilliant but he is bright (although all parents feel that way about their kids no?) and I'm sure he's at the right developmental age to know emotion but I am just blown away at how he's learning. Half of the time I wonder where he's coming up with what it is he's coming up with. His imagination is improving. Taking the train track bridge, turning it upside down and announcing while scrapping the rug 'I'm digging.' Using the appropriately shaped empty Perrier plastic bottle as a baseball bat. It's quite fascinating to see him grow, learn and get better at conversing.

That being said, he's also repeating much of what he hears. Rob and I have come to realize that we will never be able to avoid him hearing curses. I read this article on Time Out NY Kids and laughed. I had read an article in some other publication where a father, exasperated with the fact that he could not curb his tongue instead chose to teach his daughter what cursing was all about. And I sit here now, with a 2 year old Ari who will repeat expletives and to boot say them at the correct instances and wonder how to deal with it. We have yet to figure out the best way. I mean, yeah, we aren't exactly saying fudge and fiddlesticks but we don't curse THAT often either. Unless that is the Giants are playing and the game is really good.

Nilsa appears to be on the starting stages of teething. Drool and gnawing. So the Humphrey's is out to do its magic. Don't know how it works but it does so I'm not complaining. She comes VERY close to a full laugh but is just short of it. Maybe she needs her 'godmother' to come by and play with her as she was the person who first got Ari to giggle out loud as well.

And I give you my favorite picture for now. It would have been PERFECT except that Ari now sees a camera and decides he wants to be the photographer. So he was already on the move when the picture snapped. Oh Well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey there,

Godmother will come out and play soon!!! Just give me a call and we'll be there!!!