24.4.08

Adulthood Defined and I'm going to be on TV!

This past weekend I was lucky enough to find time to visit my friend Rita with whom I worked alongside back when I was just 20 years old. It seems like only yesterday but it’s been 10 years. WOW. I was blessed to meet Rita when I did. Me a young spit fire, devil may care stick of a person; her, a mother, wife and overall fabulous person. I truly believe people come into your lives at certain times for a reason.

Rita was significant in teaching me how to keep my mind on track, aspire to goals and put necessary limitations on myself so as to not fly off the handle or put myself in a position I would later regret. I always tell myself that Rita is a mentor, my personal guru. I always found it easy to talk to her. She has always helped guide me if I needed it with respect and with smiles.

So I got to see her this weekend and for the first time since I met her so long ago, I felt in a place where I didn’t come looking for advice. For once I sat with Rita and we were kind of at the same level. And when she smiled at me she did so not in that ‘let me help you see something’ kind of way but in that knowing ‘you’re there’ way that made me somehow feel proud of myself. Throughout our conversation I realized how adult-like I sounded. How I’ve managed to analyze my thoughts and react accordingly rather then fancifully hope for the best and allow the world to just work its way through things without any assistance from me. I’ve grown up. In her face I saw that she saw it. From the way I calmly corrected Ari for his poor behavior, to the ease with which I handled Nilsa. Through it all she had that tell tale knowing smile.

Stupid as it may sound, I haven’t really sat back and realized how I’ve moved into this whole adult thing. I’m still the devil may care chick I was when younger and I still blurt out how I feel and jump at opportunities to get what I want when I want it - but I do so while being very aware of what I do and why I do it and what effect it will have to my family and life. And that my friends, is adulthood. Just sitting with Rita made me realize how much I have developed. What kind of person I had become. And you know what??? I like the person I am. And I’m excited at the fact that I can say that!

Don’t get me wrong. I still feel disjointed at times. There are still a lot of unresolved questions in me and again, as always, and as I have said in previous entries, time is my enemy with getting everything done. Yet I find that time has also been my friend in getting me to be the person I am. Only with time do you grow. I have an unstable relationship with the clock.

MAKEOVERS ON NATIONALLY SYNDICATED SHOWS
In classic Dianne fashion, I ran into an ad on Criagslist that was looking for people for a makeover. On a whim I sent in a picture of Miggy (my sister in law) with a note about her being a mother to a newborn after having had her first 12 years ago. And not ½ hour later they called me about it.

To make a long story short, Miggy agreed to get a hair makeover for the show and both she and I will be on the nationally syndicated The Morning Show with Mike & Juliet on Friday. It’s my first time ever on TV so I hope I don’t look like a complete moron. I plan to have a digital camera on hand to document the day so stay tuned. They videotaped a segment yesterday at Miggy’s house so I got to take pictures of the newest member of the family – 6 week old Adelia. I have not uploaded the pictures yet but I will share them once I’ve got them up.


PICTURES PICTURES AND MORE PICTURES










1 comment:

FrancesM said...

Saw you on TV - you looked GREAT!