Spring is finally here and while I sat at work lamenting the 70 degree temperatures, Rob was home with the kidlets. The few times I talked to him I told him he had to go to the park. The weather was too beautiful not to. And he had every intention of going anyhow. And did. I got an instant message that he was off and while I clicked away at my computer as work and stared at the screens I seethed in jealousy over the perfect weather and him and the kids at the park.
And then came the phone call...
I get a call from Rob at the park saying that Nilsa just knocked out her teeth. Not exactly the kind of call you ever want to hear. Rob sounded a bit exasperated as I heard him telling Ari they HAD TO LEAVE NOW. I just moved into action. I call our doctor who says put the tooth in milk when you get home and then hooks us up with a pediatric dentist. I call to set up an app't with the dentist while simultaneously talking to Rob on the phone and mistakenly hang up on the receptionist chick twice. I dial from my cell phone and run out of my office to meet Rob at home as he's just gotten there and needs my help to get the kids to the location. So I end up driving like a maniac and get home, pick up kids and Rob. Nilsa had passed out asleep at this point as she had no nap and we headed to the dentist. That's when it starts hitting me and I started crying enroute. Her shirt was bloodied as was Rob's and her lip was swollen, dried blood mixed with some fresh blood upon it. She was peacefully asleep but, it killed me. And I hadn't even looked in her mouth.
At the end of it all, she lost 2 teeth and now has 3 stitches in her gums. She did great at the dentist. Better then I did I can tell you that. The attendant talked sweetly to her in Spanish and she was happy with them after a while. Yes, they needed to strap her down but unlike Ari who went NUTS when they strapped him down for his stitches, Nilsa remained fairly calm throuhgout, moaning and crying at times but never really losing control. I sat on the end of the dental chair rubbing her calves. The dentist was awesome. Even called us when we got home to follow up. I did get to see her bloodied gums. UGH. And we now have both her lost teeth in a baggie (wow teeth are really long.)
She was fine when we got home. You'd think nothing happened. but she's missing one front tooth and another next to it. I'm torn. Grateful she's ok. Upset that she had to go through this and even more SAD over the fact that she is now missing 2 teeth. My beautiful baby girl. I cry just thinking about it and mentally yell at myself for being so vanity driven to let that bother me so much. But I won't lie. I worry. I worry that the loss of the tooth will become a problem in her speech. I worry people will make fun of her. I worry even more about the reaction of other adults. I worry that it will take longer for her permanent teeth to come in and I worry taht she'll be another 6-7 years with a big ole gap. I think its really unfair.
So yeah, I googled. I'm surprised how common this seems to be. And yelled at myself because yes I did find out that there is such thing as fake baby teeth (their technical name is Pedo Partial) and found out that unless she knocked out a back tooth they are not necessary in the least. I'm so worried she'll be made fun of or not have the confidence because of this. Having been there myself (my 2 front ones are fake if you don't already know) I remember how hard it was for me. Rob reminded me when I lost my teeth that I was in 12 years old so it was different. But I can't help but to feel the way I do. And really - it's ridiculous to consider fake baby teeth isn't it?
She now has a toothless grin until her permanent teeth come in. It is what it is but I'm totally sad about it all. I hate that this happened to my beautiful baby girl. Her pretty little grin with the big ole gap between her front teeth which was so endearing is gone. And I am left in sadness over it.

I feel terrible for Rob too who was right behind her when it happened. Just took a split second. I know he feels terrible, and I know that my sadness doesn't help him feel better. It is what it is. Now Nilsa has 3 stitches to compete with her brother's 10. And the irony of it all. Both kids had this happen in April.
2 comments:
Hugs to you. I know this is hard.
Aww, I had tears reading this! I can understand how you feel, I would be the same way. This has happened to my nephew a few times and now he is 9 and his perm's are finally in (they did takea little longer).
Post a Comment