It times like this that I curse the reality that currently is my life. I’m not complaining about my life. Or, better said, I’m not trying to. I know that as an adult, my job is to live my life in response to the obligations that I have. Though they are mostly monetary obligations, they help keep the roof over my head, food on the table and most especially, give my kids the kind of life that I want for them and keep those smiles on their faces. Almost every parent sacrifices something for the benefit of their kids. But sometimes, I question the quality of the sacrifice. I wonder if overall it will backfire. We’ve all heard the song “Cat’s in the Cradle” where the dad wants so much for his son he works and does and limits his time with his child to manage it. At the end of it all, he’s realized he didn’t spend enough time in life with his child and now his child has emulated the same philosophy with his children and the listener is left to wonder if that was a good or bad thing. I don’t’ want to wake up one day and see my children grown and not have been given the opportunity to really enjoy their growth.
I titled this blog when I was pregnant – attempting to defeat the superwoman syndrome was my mantra for while. It still kind of is. The purpose of it was to rant about the things in my head, purge them when necessary and to REMIND myself that I didn’t need to be superwoman, didn’t need to do everything and anything and that I needed to just focus on being the best that I could be. That meant I needed to stop the comparison to others. (I’ve done really well with this) and to limit the idea that there was an “IDEAL” person I needed to be (I’ve been only okay with this.) All and all I’ve been happy with the way things have been going, but now that Nilsa is almost 2 and Ari is almost 4, things have changed.
For the past few years I’ve worked, and worked, and worked some more, I’ve worked a lot. I’ve heard, more then I care to hear, the phrase “I don’t know how you do it.” To be honest, I really DON’T KNOW how I do it. I know that I manage the full time 8a-5p job Monday thru Friday, the evening meetings for Colorblind and the weekend weddings and events in part thanks to the extraordinary help and support from both Rob’s mother and my mother. I know I could not do what I do without them. They are a lifeline that I am blessed and grateful to have and I know I don’t’ tell them enough how important and how indispensable their help and support is. My kids are constantly loved and nurtured while we work and that is thanks to their grandparents. And Rob is a major player in getting life done. He’s taken on a role that most men would never even conceptualize. But internally, I/we sacrifice a lot of other things in the quest to keep this schedule
- Household duties go undone (laundry piles up; dusting takes a back seat, etc.)
- Sleep. Sometimes the only time available where the house is quiet and interruptions aren’t happening is late at night or super early morning. So sleep is lost in exchange to obligations (this is in large part a HUGE Rob sacrifice – as I’ve woken many times at 3am to find him on the computer working on editing pictures or video or such)
- Order/Organization. I was never a huge neat freak with everything labeled and arranged. But I did have a sort of organized chaos. I knew where everything was, could find things with relative ease and things were, in my unique way, organized. Now I waste precious time because nothing is in any kind of order, things are haphazardly strewn about and I’m lucky I remember my name at times. I avoid certain areas on purpose because it’s such a horrific mish mash that even if I had time I wouldn’t know WHERE to begin. And when I do try, it returns to its state of disarray soon after. I know those of you who come to our house go huh? as it really, from appearances, looks tidy. Our kids and their play things are relatively organized. It’s Rob and I and our respective paperwork that is not.
- Listening. (huh? what did you say?) yeah. In one ear and out the other syndrome when your mind is racing with everything you need/should be doing is viral in my home.
- Time. This is the thing that I think affects me most. Time is sacrificed - time with my husband, time with my kids (**most important**) and ultimately time with myself. Time is what I crave most. Worthwhile time that affords me to not only enjoy life but catch up with the aforementioned sacrifices.
And in this time I find myself a spectator rather then a participant. I spend the majority of my day in front of a computer doing a job I largely am uninterested in (lets be honest – I’m bored) and lamenting the time it cheats me from being with my children. I stare at their picture on my desk, look out the window at the sun and wish I was at the playground with them. Even on a day like today where the rain is coming down, I daydream of donning raincoats and splashing puddles. I ache at the reality that I have to ask permission to leave my office to attend any function and then need to hustle away from the joy of their smiles to the expectations of my work; work that brings me no joy or happiness. Work, that guilts me on time off because as an employee, they pay me and expect me to put them first. The same sting and sorrow I felt this morning upon walking away from their giggles I feel all day long. I know its going to get worse too. Ari starts school with all its events and participation opportunities and I want to be active in it. I don’t know how I could be with my current schedule. I’m tired of sacrificing my kids. I’m also tired of sacrificing the benefit I could be to colorblind (that’s another post altogether that is slightly similar to this one.) I’m genuinely tired of working so much. And I don’t know what it is I can do to help my current state. As it stands now, the only time I have with my kids is weekdays following work which just all out sucks. I’m tired after a long day, my patience is dwindled and I’m not in the best frame of mind to be the kind of mother and parent I should be to them. Beyond that, 2-3 hours before bed is not my ideal definition of “quality time.” I live for the rare weekends when I am free. My fondest memories with my kids happen between breakfast and 2pm. It is time stolen from me on a daily basis. I know many working mom’s that feel this way and I even find myself envious of them because they at the very least have weekends available.
I had a plan at the beginning of the year. Things looked to be going in one direction that would have probably benefited me the most, but that made a turn, and now my plans have been scrapped without any real options for new ones. And I honestly don’t think I can keep up at this pace much longer. Things don’t look encouraging and I struggle to ensure the melancholy I feel doesn’t overpower me. For now I take what time I can get, hold it dear and close to me and PRAY that I’ll have more time with them in the short term future. My biggest fear right now is not having the opportunity to enjoy this time and regretting not doing something to make that my reality.
7 comments:
I promise a happier post soon. I just need to get this off my chest.
Awww D, you're making me cry, because I wish I could give you a little of the time I have so you wouldn't feel so fed up and frustrated. I know hugs aren't always helpful but I wish I coule give you s big one right now.
You are doing the absolute best you can with what you have. Your children will not become estranged from you because when the moment counts you are there for them and spewing love for them. Anyone who looks at your pictures and talks to you knows this.
This shall pass and you'll find a way to balance your worlds. And if something's gotta give I know you trust yourself not to give away what really counts.
Is it looking to be a possibility that you and Rob can do Colorblind full-time sometime soon? I hope that, or some other solution, will come to be, so that you can slow down some and just enjoy your family life.
Move over honey...we're all there with you, been there and am still there - even though my baby is going to highschool. Such is the life and times of parenthood...not to worry, happy times are remembered, memories happen somehow and life sometimes slows down now and then.
Sallyanne - Rob does do this full time already. And he's great at it to a point. There are things I'm stronger in and things that I'm far more useful in doing. I'm more the marketing/sales/accountant. Rob is more the doer and technical aspect person. Together we work wonderfully as we totally compliment each other - which is impressive given the fact that working with your spouse is generally ill advised. The goal is to get me doing this full time. That is kind of what I was referring to in the tail end of the post. I had a plan and it just doesn't look like it will pan out and it leaves me even more frustrated then if I had not had a plan.
Cheryl - thank you. Your virtual hug is greatly appreciated. Count your blessings.
Carmen - nice name ;) beautiful statement Not only are you dedicated and beautiful but you are eloquent too.
Mig - yeah. I find that I've touched a nerve with these posts and have many readers and friends sympathizing with it. I know I'm certainly not the first person to feel this way. Even friends who have the ability to stay at home don't feel they've spent enough quality time. It comes with the title of mother I guess. I'm aware of it though, and that will let me really focus on hopefully changing it.
Dianne, it's like we think the same thoughts. I could have not said it better or any different. We are in the same shoes. Only difference is, I have my weekends with my son while my husband works and I just want to play with him and the house work still takes low priority. There are times I want to stay home and say "F" work but in reality, I love my job so I am torn.
Today I called my son at my parents house and he kept asking me when I was coming to pick him up and why I was at work and it brought tears to my eyes as I sat at my desk... there is no happy medium :(
Post a Comment