25.7.05

Oh My God - I'm pregnant...

So it only took what?? 4 1/2 months to really come to terms with the fact that I am in fact a pregnant woman. That I am in fact carrying a little person inside of me. HOLY SHIT. I'm pregnant.

Movement

n
The act or an instance of moving; a natural event that involves a change in position or location
Well I haven't felt kicks, but that 'weird' sensation I couldn't quite explain, I finally believe is in fact movement and it's kinda surreal and not at all what I expected. Babe seems to like to move most midday, when I'm at work and my feet are up. I sometimes look forward to the movements. Just like I look forward to the dips on rollercoasters...that same kind of anticipation you get after you hit your first hill and you feel your bladder elevate itself. A mini thrill. Well with every pucker I get, I get a mini thrill. I sometimes wish I could instigate it. That I can poke and it could respond to me. I think that would be so great. But for now - I take what I can.

"One day you'll wake up with a belly"
Someone said this to me. I thought - how is it that from one day to the next I can have a belly? But it does happen. And it's all about the babe's positioning. Yesterday was the first day this happened. Of all days, when I want to look my best (as it was Miggy's wedding day) I am getting undressed and I glimpse at myself in the mirror - and holy shit - what the hell is up with the shape of my bump??? I should have taken a picture. it was oddly shaped. Kinda pointy and above my navel to boot. When I pressed down on it it was HARD as a rock I stared at myself and the realization of that quote came to life. There was the belly - clearly sticking out. Oddly shaped. And with no time to really observe it as there was a wedding for me to get ready for. But the odd shaped diminished although the bulge is clearly there and wow. I'm pregnant. My navel is getting wider. I swear it looks really funny. It does.

I'm growing. I'm growing after complaining to Rob that I haven't really seen growth in the past month. I think that's the key to me growing. Complaining. Everytime I complain about my size, something happens. I used to not want to grow at all and now I'm oddly looking forward to it a bit. But I'm still vainly hoping that I won't grow TOOO much. And with the realization that I'm getting bigger comes the fear of stretch marks. Yesterday I had a conversation with Rob that started


"I might just be a paranoid freak so don't laugh at me for this question"

Any conversation that starts like that is a definite clue to my current state of paranoia. My question - whether 2 lines on my tummy (which later were apparently from my pants) were the beginning of stretch marks. Rob's answer


"I don't know. Maybe. I don't know what stretch marks look like"

It occurred to me that neither do I. And I would NOT recommend to anyone to google images for stretch marks. ICK. That put MUCH more fear in me. But its good to know that after you get them there are things out there that will help not cure, but diminish it. Whether it works or not - who knows but it makes me feel better to think of that.

Rob's going to be a father
I've complained off and on before to Rob himself that I don't think he has shown any kind of excitement and that he doesn't really talk about the babe much. Not that I talk much about it, but at least I mention it you know. And I realize that what Rob doesn't say to me, he says to other people.

Over the past few weeks, I've run into past clients, friends and family. And it's interesting to see how the guys egg Rob on about the babe. The kind of talks they have center over the 'wife's impending craziness' and other factors from there. But it's thanks to these conversations that I find that the enthusiasm comes out for Rob in that he does actively talk about it. And with that came the realization that he has talked about it with me - I'm just not listening. We have varied conversations that are rather entertaining and generally stem from one paranoia or other I have.

So I bring you....CONVERSATIONS WITH ROB

#1 I was on the bugaboo site and was watching the demo video that is set to club music and of course - that is what drew Rob into the Room.
Rob
What the hell is that
Me
The bugaboo demo video
Rob
*laughing incredulously* The video is set to club music like a car commercial?
Me
*ignoring sarcasm* Just look how cool this thing is
Rob
*comes over looks at video - laughs* How is that so different from every other stroller.
Me
Are you kidding? The bugaboo goes from newborn to up to 2 or 3 years of age. It's ONE stroller that you buy. That's it. So whereas people buy 2 or 3 strollers in the kids first year we'd buy one. And look at it - it's just so cool. Look *I run onto another website* Look - it comes in a grey and all sorts of different colors.
Rob
How much is this thing again?
Me
About $750
Rob
*laughing* And how much are all these other extra things *points at bassinet and mosquito netting
Me
Comes with it. And remember that you're stuck pushing this stoller too. Do you want to push a filly plaid thing, or something sleek
Rob
*contemplating* I'll do some stroller reasearch
Me
go ahead. Good luck finding something that compares. You might try the E3 though - it's pretty and about $300
Rob
*laughing as he walks away* E3 - sounds like a luxury car.

#2 Sitting on the couch talking about feet which leads to contemplating baby
Me
I have such ugly toes
Rob
You're toes aren't ugly - they're just funky
Me
I hope this kid doesn't get my feet. Or my hands for that matter. Damn Vasquez family feet and hands. Feet are all bumpy looking and hands are all bony.
Rob
You're hands are not ugly.
Me
Look at my fingers
Rob
well they wouldn't be ugly if you didn't keep picking on your cuticles
Me
And lets not forget the burn marks all over
Rob
That's cause you're a clutz. *laughs* I hope this baby doesn't tun out so clutzy like you. It'll never play sports
Me
*pouts*
Rob
*laughs* Well I hope it doesn't get my hands
Me
You have nice hands
Rob
I have SMALLL hands
Me
but that's not bad if its a girl
Rob
but if it's a boy it's not going to be happy. I hate these small ass chubby fingers.


#3 Conversation about smells
Me
*sniffling and crying while I cut onions last night*
Rob
*contemplates me* Aren't your senses supposed to be more accute when you're pregnant
Me
They say that, but I just think this onion is really strong or something
Rob
I've never seen you cry when you're cutting an onion
Me
I know and I'm wearing glasses so I really shouldn't be crying all this much
Rob
You have been very susceptible to smells lately
Me
You're just talking about that one time when I smelled burnt toast cause of the coffee smelling candle you had lit
Rob
yeah but you thought something was burning the other day when I turned a candle off.
Me
*rolleyes* I'm not that keen in my smell sense
Rob
*laughs as he leaves the kitchen*

~~~~~~~~10 minutes later~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**I find the knife I was using to cut the onions in the box with the new entermann's coffee cake***
Me
Rob, did you just take a piece of cake
Rob
Yeah
Me
did you not notice that you used the same knife I used to cut the onions for the coffee cake
Rob
So?
Me
You left the knife in the coffee cake box. It's reaking of onion smell. See smell it *I hold up knife for him to smell*
Rob
*laughing* I told you your senses are acute
Me
What??
Rob
I bet you smelled that knife from across the room when it was in the box
Me
*laughing as I leave the room* Onion and coffee cake do not mix.

Doctor's App't
I have my usual monthly check up tomorrow morning. Can you believe I'll be 19 weeks?

2 comments:

Krystal Muellenberg said...

19 weeks already! How exciting. And I could have written that part of your post about the movement. In fact, I have poked my belly trying to prod the little one to move. In vain of course, but how cool would it be if it would work. Loved reading your whole post. And a pregnant belly is a freaky thing to have. I stand in front of the mirror wondering if that is really me. I like to deny that my stomach is as big as it is.

Anonymous said...

Bugaboo...

Well, you know I bought the Bugaboo with the idea that it would be the ONLY stroller that I'll ever need. To date...I HAVE FOUR. 3 of which I bought. And 1 that is in California. Here is my stash:

1 Black Bugaboo (good from Birth - 3/4yrs.) But Bulky to carry around the city...especially if using Subways or Buses. It SUX. But it sure is classy looking and with cool features.

1 Quest McClaren (good from Birth - 3yrs) easier for me to handle because it weighs as much as TRU Umbrella Stroller and has a handle--makes it easy for me trek up and down subway and bus if I'm alone with the baby.

1 TRU Umbrella Stroller (good from 6 months - 2/3yrs) so very easy to take around because its soooo simple and light. Up stairs, down stairs what have you. But if baby is tired...it doesn't recline---which is why I bought the Maclaren Quest.

1 Graco Travel System (good from birth - 3/4 years)all the PRACTICAL bells and whistles for ALOT less. Includes Bassinet, car seat, and stroller...but VERY BULKY TO CARRY AROUND.

So there is my unsolicitated advice on having strollers in NYC. Had to buy all them because I walk around/travel alot and I have NO CAR. But you do, so maybe it'll be different.