About 30 percent of pregnant women have congestion without any other cold symptoms while they're pregnant. This condition even has a name: rhinitis of pregnancy.GREAT. I've been attacked by a rather annoying pregnancy symptom Boogers. And if you're sensitive to mucus related items, I'd skip down to the next section. I'm subjected to a continual and annoying sniffling. And it's a myriad of sniffles. I have the watery drip one minute, the syrupy sticky the next, and the HARD pointy stab the opposite end of your nose mucus. I have tried to blow it out but nothing comes out. I have tried to suck it in, but nothing would snort in. It just hangs there annoying me and forcing me to sniffle. What a pain. It has been clear, yellowish and green. It is GROSS and I want it to stop.
Procrastination can force you into realization
WOW. In 2 weeks - a measly 14 days I'll be 1/2 way through this thing. Isn't that insane? Either time is flying or I'm just living in my own personal la la land. The excitement really hasn't hit yet...but realization is slowly getting there. Each day it's a bit different a kind of realization. And I find myself talking about 'baby' to Rob often. I wonder if I annoy him sometimes with the random babble I do. But really, I don't talk much about it outside of that or this place. And I like it like that. And this realization is making me feel like a slacker. Many people get excited at the prospect of a Level II Ultrasound.42% of the pregnancy has passed, there is 58% left to go.
112 days have passed since the conception,154 days until the due date.
18 weeks into the pregnancy, 22 weeks to go.
What's the purpose of the Level II Ultrasound:
- Careful look at the babyĆs anatomy to ensure the baby is growing and developing as expected
- Performed to evaluate the fetus for structural/anatomic abnormalities
- Can help confirm the age of the baby
- used to assess blood flow to the baby's heart and brain, as well as the uterine and umbilical arteries.
- AND THE #1 REASON PEOPLE WANT THEM To find out whether the baby is a boy or girl.
And have I mentioned that I still haven't gone in for an AFP test *blush*. In my defense I did go in and it's not my fault that I went in on a Saturday when they had nobody to draw blood. So I tried - really I did. I made the effort. And what's the purpose of this test?
AFP is a protein secreted by the fetal liver and excreted in the mother's blood. It is generally used for detecting neural tube defects, but it can also indicate: abdominal wall defects esophageal and duodenal atresia, some renal and urinary tract anomalies turner syndrome, some low birth weight fetuses, and placental complications. A low level of AFP could also indicate Down Syndrome.Rob says I just don't want to have the test done. In reality, yes, he's right. I don't want to take the damn test. I mean the majority of these AFP tests are false positives and the chances of birthing a baby with a defect even with a positive result is very rare. Then what the hell is the purpose of these tests? I mean it's FACT that "Of the positive test results, 90% of these babies will not have any anomalies." Am I the only one who then sees no logic to this test. Blah. Will have it done anyhow and will make a concerted effort to get into the office to have them suck my blood.
And did I mention I have an app't to see my doc again next Tuesday (the 24th) UM - in the month since I've been there I haven't done anything I should have (level II sonogram or AFP) I suck.
New Fears and Old Unite
So, when I found out I was pregnant, my big fear after hearing people's constant commentary on how our kid will be born surrounded by music cause of Rob's affinity to it and him being a DJ, was that I would have a child born deaf. Not that it's a bad thing, you know. But Rob told me not to worry, and you know what? I watched the movie Mr. Holland Opus. I was watching it upstairs, Rob was watching it downstairs and the minute he finds out his son is deaf I came barrelling down the stairs and what is Rob doing. Laughing while I look at him feebly and say "See. You see."
**sigh**
Now, my latest fear is that this child will choke itself on the umbilical cord and it does happen. Actually it happen in 20% of cases. I think this fear it's directly related to the fact tha people keep asking me if I've felt movement when I don't think I have.
I'm a paranoid freak.
3 comments:
I think that you are doing amazingly well.
I am only 9 weeks into this pregnancy thing and am already way more paranoid than you.
I try to relax, but evverywhere I turn, there seems to be some new warning, or omen, as I now unfortunately view them all.
Gotta go find an article I just read yesterday online about this for you...made me feel a bit better.
All paranoid freaks can come hang out with me. Just as soon as one worry goes away, another one comes along. And stupid AFP test and its false positive rate. I hate all testing (what a great mood I am in, right?) Love reading up on everything. And loved those pictures. You look great. Oh... and I know you were talking about this WAY back and probably have already decided, but I remember you talking about coordinating a wedding while being quite far along? And I wanted to let you know that the fancy wedding I went to a couple of weeks ago--the coordinator was ready to pop. She did a great job and didn't detract from the wedding at all. Ya. that's all I guess.
In Canada, you have the choice to take the AFP test. I opted no, because of the high rate of incorrect response on it. Since the only recourse would be amnio after that (1/200 chance of miscarriage, no thanks!) I figured, why put myself through additional worry. All ultrasounds have come back fine, so we'll live with whatever we get at birth! Incidentally, you're not a paranoid freak. You're a pregnant mom! It's normal to expect the worst, despite what you see on your ultrasound, or hear on the Doppler. Bringing a new life into the world is a huge responsibility, and you're the only one who is "with" that baby 24/7 at the moment. Try not to believe that everything you read will happen to you - most pregnancies are normal! Look at how many babies are born daily worldwide, most without the benefit of our North American medical system.
Post a Comment