17.4.07

The 2nd time around doesn't get mentioned 1/2 as much...


The first time I was pregnant I had so much to say. So much because everything was so new and because I was also in a bit of denial. Well a bit more then a bit that is. And I had so many preconceived ideas of what life would be like and I tried to PLAN everything I could. As if having a child could be planned. HA. Looking back I laugh. Laugh that I thought I could seriously control anything.

But here we are again. Ari is a fabulously adorable kid who managed to make it through his parent's confusion, self education and new commitment to him. And now that life is somewhat comfortable, we have another one coming along. I'm 17 weeks pregnant already. 17. Crazy. I forgot how quickly the first few months go. But here we are. 39% of the pregnancy has passed.

So how does it feel this time around. Well I have to say my expectations going into this are totally different then they were when I was pregnant with Ari. I had no idea what was going on and researched a lot with Ari. I'm taking things in stride now. I was in some serious denial and kind of just floated in my own world with Ari. I'm VERY aware of being pregnant this time although I don't feel any different this time then I did with Ari. I think I feel more connected to the pregnancy this time around. More anticipatory and in so, more worried. Whereas before I didn't really focus on all that could go wrong. I've not let the worry overtake me but I have spurts where I wonder if something is wrong and horrible thoughts roll through my head.

Yet that anger I had the first time about the expectations of a pregnant woman now stand a bit differently. I'm in a different environment (all male workforce) so I'm happily not having to deal with the 'how are you feeling' and common woman competition you find in other environments. I also curiously anticipated the whole 'the second time is different' thing and so far, except for the bout of nausea that hit me the first few weeks that I never did get with Ari - I'm running about the same. I was supposed to show sooner. Well I think in comparison to pictures I took with Ari that I may in fact be showing a whopping...week or so sooner? Not enough to really make any difference. I'm supposed to feel the baby move sooner. Well here it is at week 17 and I have felt nothing. (I felt Ari at about 20 weeks.) So my expectations so far have been not what I expected. That's not a bad thing. It's just how pregnancy is. You kind of sit and wait and let your body lead you.

The pictures you see here are at 15.5 weeks. So 1.5 weeks ago. I think I am a bit bigger now. I'll have to share the way I told the parents. I'll have my normal app't on Wednesday and I should be doing the 'BIG' Ultrasound in the next week. Hopefully Baby Velez #2 will cooperate and let us know if it's a boy or girl. I'm surprised at how many people are hoping for a girl. We all know that we hope for just a healthy and happy baby. We'll see what we come up with. I'm thinking boy and hoping for one too.

and just because. Gratuitous picture of 14 month old Ari.

2 comments:

Sally-Anne said...

Don't you know, it's like a law -- a boy and then a girl! Silly! :) No, you're right, as long as it's healthy. Keep us posted!

Teba said...

Wow, congratulations Dianne! Of course I am insanely jealous but so happy for you. :) It is funny how people always expect that you want one of the opposite sex, like your life won't be complete if you don't have both a boy and a girl. Me, I'd be happy w/ 4 girls! You look great btw.