22.11.08

There is beauty in the simple things

I worked today. Not the full time job and not at a wedding or event. I did my job as coordinator for a wedding rehearsal. I came home in time to see my children both wake up from their nap, to say goodbye to Rob as he was off to dj a portuguese baptism celebration. I took their kisses and retreated to the office to do more work while my mom (god bless her help) entertained Ari and Nilsa. I heard their giggles and conversations with their grandmother and it reminded me so much of being a child myself. Of the laughter that surrounded me as a young kid even in the hardest of times. My mom, although not perfect (but what parent is?) was definitely fun with her dancing and singing and rollerskating in the house. And I'm so happy to see my children have the fortune of sharing that same playful spirit she has.

But after she left for the evening, as I prepared the evening hot milk for both of them I stood by the stove and looked down the hall to where both of them were playing with a empty box. They both giggled and squealed in delight. Nilsa is finally old enough to really hold her own against Ari although she still has to toughen up a bit. Ari is becoming more aware of his sister as far more then just a baby or the little girl he can shove around without preamble. Today I watched them play together and my heart just jumped. Ari conversed with Nilsa and she, unable to reply just squealed appropriately. There was no pushing, no yelling and no annoyances. They played both placed their feet into the empty box and moved them around while banging a top its surface and I only could wish I had a camera nearby. But running for it would mean passing them and interrupting the moment. And so, I just observed and memorized the moment in my head so that when I wanted I could relive it.

In the supermarket the other day, an older gentleman got to talking to Ari since he was pushing around his own mini cart while I pushed Nilsa in my adult cart (cell phone pic below.) I have to say this is the BEST idea any supermarket ever came up with (Foodtown in Union should you locals wish to know which) because Ari is SOOOO very proud to push his own cart and fill it up with things. What you can't see in this pic is that pole has a small plastic flag on top that says "Customer in Training." But back to the story...


The man turned to me and said "Enjoy them - they grow up fast" and then added this small bit of information "I remember mine at that age. That's the best age. They live at that age in my mind with these memories" and I thought to myself, this is the advice I give ever bride and groom that is my client. To really stop throughout the day and take in everything around you because those are the moments you remember. And its the same in everyday life. So today, I've recorded that moment between Ari and Nilsa and the empty box in the hallway. And I hope I can always remember the sweetness of this moment in my head when I'm older and, like the man at the supermarket, remembering these moments.

No comments: