1.7.09

Camp Adventures & No Broken Nose

Dr. Shah confirmed no broken nose. I can breathe a huge sigh of relief...

So Ari's first day of camp came and went. Today he's at his 2nd day. When I went to pick him up I was enamored with the cultural hodge podge that is this school/camp. I love that parents who are not Spanish bring their kids here. And I found out that the director and I share pediatricians.

When I went to pick up Ari, he was fine. The director told me that he never cried and he seemed to enjoy himself. The issue is not having been at the school/camp before, everything is new and he's unaware of the formatting. Because of this he's having issues paying attention.

So they asked that next week he be switched from 5 days to 3 days because they think he's not quite ready for the 5 day and he's not assimilated yet. The additional week should afford him the time to learn the way things roll. I'm OK with that. I asked if he's being disruptive or anything because that's a concern of mine. Especially since the day I picked him up and asked him what he did, he answered "I got a time out" and of course that made me worry (this will be a reoccurring comment of mine.) I was convinced he did something horrible to deserve that. In our house we don't do time outs, I'm assuming he didn't get that concept either so it didn't work. *sigh* But no, he was just not paying attention in the playground and coming close to hurting himself by gong by the swings.

They assured me he's not being disruptive, he's just having issues listening and sitting down and especially when all the kids are together, they have to be aware of safety so listening is a BIG thing. She said 'he seems to march to the beat of his own drummer' and that's very true. He never cries, is always happy and I have to remember he is the youngest child in the class. He was excited to go to camp today so he obviously loves it. He does great at independent play of course, but more structured circumstances find him suffering from "ants in the pants" syndrome and that's more because he's just not yet used to the flow so he just needs time to adapt.

And they need to adapt to him too. They were telling me how the teacher was stressing a bit cause he didn't want to eat lunch. That was my fault as I did not tell them he's not much of a self feed/lunch eater. And this is a big worry of mine. So he gets a large breakfast and if he eats he eats. I told them as much. I am more concerned about him getting enough liquids then of him eating. And I forgot to mention to them that he's a sweater and that when hot he gets red faced. *sigh* worry worry.

I want like every mom to hear my kid is brilliant and perfectly behaved and that's a stupid thing to ever expect. Very stupid but understandable. I'm glad to hear that he obviously likes it very much and that is truly the most important thing. He participates to a certain degree he just needs time. I wish I had the money to have put him in all summer long. I really do love the school and witnessing the kids that are generally in the program have the ability to converse and comprehend spanish when they themselves don't speak it at home says a lot about the program. I think its so good for him. I just wish it were closer.

Nilsa though misses her brother tremendously. My mother in law said that all day she was calling out "Ari, where are you" and looking for him. :(

We'll see how he does today. Today was pool day. He generally loves the pool so we'll see how well he listens and what the progress report is.

Pictures from Victoria's first birthday this past weekend


No comments: